Lynn G. Winborne
Attorney at Law

210 W. Franklin Street
Waxahachie, TX 75165
Tel: (972) 937-0502
Email: Click Here

Credit Cards Accepted

(Ellis County, Texas)

Divorce (Ellis County, Texas)

The Law Office of Lynn G. Winborne represents individuals that need an experienced divorce attorney in Ellis County, Texas.

  • Divorce
  • Child Support
  • Child Custody

If you are in need of a divorce attorney in Ellis County, Lynn Winborne can help!

A divorce is one of the most important and influential actions that will occur in your life – both financially and emotionally. The issues of dealing with your property and children in a divorce will affect your future more than any other action you will probably ever take. Before you make any decisions or take any actions regarding a divorce make sure that you get sound advice from a legal professional about what your rights and responsibilities are and will be.

Everyone’s case is different -  please feel free to call and make an appointment to discuss the details and specifics of your particular situation with an experienced local Ellis County Family Law Attorney.

If you have any questions, or need the assistance of a family law attorney in Ellis County, please contact Lynn Winborne directly at (972) 937-0502.

Frequently Asked Questions For Divorces in Ellis County, Texas

What is a Divorce?

A divorce is a legal proceeding to end a marriage by dividing up the community property and making arrangements for the custody, visitation and support of the children of the marriage (if any).

What do I have to do to get a divorce in Ellis County, Texas?

A divorce is a complex legal proceeding that begins with the filing of a Petition for Divorce and then goes through some or all of the issues of restraining orders, service, temporary hearings, temporary orders, discovery, social studies, mediation, pretrial hearings and possibly trial. No two cases are the same – I discuss each case in detail with the client and together we come up with a plan of what needs to be done to ensure the best possible resolution of each case based on how you want the case to turn out.

How long does it take to get a divorce in Ellis County, Texas?

In Texas, a divorce takes a minimum of 60 days from the date of filing and, if you and your spouse cooperate and agree on all the issues, the divorce can be finalized in just a few days more than the 60 days required by law. In cases where the parties cannot reach an agreement it usually takes significantly longer to finalize the divorce, depending on just what issues are disputed and how anxious both parties are to get them resolved.

I need help now! Is there anything you can do to help?

You may request a Temporary Hearing, which deals with what is going to happen to the children and the property of the marriage until the divorce is finalized. The issues usually dealt with at a Temporary Hearing include who will have to leave the home, where will the children live, how much temporary child support will be paid, who will pay the current bills, and who will get the temporary use of other property of the marriage.  You may also be able to ask the court to immediately grant a Temporary Restraining Orders (TRO).  A TRO is an order issued by the court that is granted immediately even before the other party may know that a divorce is being filed. A TRO can do many things including prohibiting your spouse from disposing of or hiding property or incurring additional indebtedness; however, in most cases, one of the things a TRO cannot do is to order your spouse out of the home.

What is mediation, and do I have to go?

The judge in your case may order you to attend mediation, which is a settlement discussion lead by a neutral, third person to try and resolve property and child support and custody issues.  If there is an order for mediation in your case you must attend. The judge has issued standing orders providing that in any case where the custody of the children is not agreed to, that mediation will be ordered prior to a final hearing.

Is there alimony in Texas?

Texas law does provide for a type of alimony, but only in limited circumstances. It is not guaranteed and even if ordered it will only be for a limited time and amount.  We will have to discuss your individual situation to determine if you qualify to ask for or may be ordered to pay alimony.

How will our property be divided in the divorce?

Texas is a “community property” state. This means that (unless the parties have executed a specific written agreement providing otherwise) all property acquired during marriage is community property unless it is acquired by gift or devise. This includes wages, retirement plans, personal property, and real estate – regardless of whose name the property is held or registered in.  If you and your spouse agree on the distribution of your community property the court will probably approve it.  If you do not agree, the court will divide your community property in a “just, right, and equitable” manner which may or may not be a 50/50 split depending on many factors. We will have to discuss your specific case in detail to determine how the property will probably be divided.

Contact Waxahachie Family Lawyer

Contact Us

Lynn G. Wnborne
Attorney at Law
210 W. Franklin Street
Waxahachie, TX 75165
(972) 937-0502

Ellis County Divorce Lawyer